Tuesday, August 23, 2016

You Tortfeasor

There’s no excuse for my behavior. I mean, it’s completely unacceptable. It’s been over a month. Ages. A lifetime to some small animals and insects. I’m ashamed.

But a lot has happened!

I mean guys, I’ve officially started law school now. I mean, officially. It’s real. There’s not really a whole lot of going back (I mean, even if I wanted to the loan funds have been disbursed so, it’s kind of a done deal…)

The good news is, so far I’m loving it! Orientation was last week (which I wasn’t going to initially count as school starting, but there was homework, so it counted. Anything with homework counts) and it was a little long, with an absolute flood of information, but it was good.

I met some of my classmates, not all of them (although I definitely have met more than I remember the faces of) and they seem pretty great. I mean, at this point it looks like they’re pretty much all geniuses and I’m not actually sure what I’m doing here, but maybe I’ll figure that out in time.

So the classes I’ve been assigned for my first semester are as follows:
Legal Writing and Research
Torts
Contracts
Property Law
Lecture Series
Professional Development
Professional Skills

Which sounds like a lot (or at least it did to me), but the last three are only once a week, so it’s not too bad. And the lecture series (which I’m pretty certain will be my favorite class) doesn’t even have homework. I literally go and sit and listen to people talk about various law professions for an hour. Which is absolutely perfect, because I have no clue what I would like to do with my life yet. I’m really hoping that I figure that out in three years or so.

I have learned so much so far though. I mean, I only remember about 1/3 of it currently (and that might be a bit of a generous estimation) but it’s all fascinating. Of course, some of what I’ve learned is what a whole slew of people already knew before coming into school (for instance, a tort is just a wrong, and a tortfeasor is someone who commits a wrong. Did you know that? I didn’t. I’m totally using ‘tortfeasor’ as my next new insult though.), but I’ll catch up.

I think that so far (based off of, you know, one days’ worth of information) Contracts will be my favorite class, which was a bit surprising because I was totally pegging Legal Writing and Research for that, but who knows? Maybe I’ll flip flop it later on. I think I’m allowed to do that right? I sure hope so.

I know this is random and crazy and short and chaotic, but that’s kind of how I feel about my life in general right now. Don’t worry, as I learn more, I’m sure they’ll get worse. Huzzah!


I’m only three years from being able to lawyer someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment